Frisco ISD Middle School
Solo & Ensemble Contest (East Zone)
at Scoggins Middle School
Saturday, May 10, 2014
This event is NOT for Beginners
Solo & Ensemble Contest is an opportunity for students to perform chamber music in a smaller group setting other than the full band. Besides solos (with piano accompaniment), students are able to perform in trios, quartets, quintets and like-instrument choirs. Students are judged individually on their performance but are assigned a rating. They are NOT ranked as was the case with All-Region Band.
Rating “I ” (best) = “Superior” performance (only these students will receive a medal)
Rating “II” = “Excellent” performance
Rating “III” = “Below Average” performance
- The Fowler MS Band Boosters are graciously providing the cost of the piano accompanists.
- Wear your Sunday best clothing! Gentlemen: Ties, and Ladies wear dresses.
- Be sure to be at the school 30 mins. BEFORE your performance time. Tell your parents to pick you up an hour after your performance time. There is no place to socialize.
- The only warm -up area is the Cafeteria. Do not play your instruments in any of the practice rooms or inside the building. If you want to PRACTICE before you play, you will need to bring your OWN wire music stand! The only music stands they provide are in the performance rooms.
- Your accompanist will be there, don’t panic if he/she is late! It is likely because he/she is playing for another person in another room and some judges run late. They WILL be there - you will NOT be in trouble if we start past your assigned time! Do NOT switch the performance order!
You ONLY play your solo or ensemble. You do not play any scales (That was for Region Band only.)
Do NOT leave your pianist or ensemble members hanging!! If you agreed to perform, you must be there! Not having a ride is NOT an acceptable excuse. If you have a conflict with athletics or another activity, let us know and we can have you play later. Communicate, just don't no-show!!
YOU MUST TAKE YOUR INSTRUMENTS AND MUSIC HOME THE NIGHT BEFORE THE CONTEST.
This is because the FOWLER MS BAND HALL WILL BE CLOSED to ALL Band members.
The Band hall is being used as the Percussion ensemble Warm-up and Percussion Ensemble Performance room.
IN THE PERFORMANCE ROOM:
- THE FIRST THING YOU DO: You need to STAND -UP and INTRODUCE YOURSELF AND THE PIECE YOU ARE PLAYING! Be sure you know the correct pronunciation of your solo/ensemble and composer. If you don’t know how to pronounce them, ask a band director before you go in the room!
- Be sure to TUNE with the piano when you enter the room. Ensembles will tune NOT to the piano but to the first part player. You should use a tuner in the cafeteria before you go to the room to play.
-When you are nervous, you tend to not take big enough breaths and you tend to rush. RELAX!
- WHEN YOU START...Don’t stop, Don’t give up!!! COUNT!!!!! The Pianist will follow YOU! Make beautiful sounds!!
AFTER YOU PLAY, The judges MAY give you a few ORAL tips, so don’t be alarmed if he or she talks to you after you play or even has you play something over. Just listen and learn!
- BE SURE TO SAY THANK YOU TO YOUR JUDGE FOR LISTENING TO YOU!
- They will announce your rating about a half an hour after you play. Medals are given only to those making a ONE “I” .
You will receive the judge's critique sheets and (if applicable), your medal(s) on the following school day after the Contest.